Saturday, July 4, 2009

Fourth of July Weekend

I love holiday weekends. I love having an extra day off from work, and being able to get just a little more out of my weekend. So far Scott and I have accomplished buying many things for our new home, and we are now in the process of incorporating everything in. I wish I had some pictures to show, but unfortunately the camera is MIA, so until that is found, there will be no picture updates... sad, I know.

We finally have a mirror for the bathroom! Although we need to buy some new anchors for it because we had a bit of a measuring error. We placed it so that the mirror would be centered between the sink and the current light fixture; however, that leaves Scott's head being cut off (he's just a little too tall), and he didn't like that all too much. He wasn't going to change the position, but I encouraged him to, so now we need new anchors because he doesn't want to pull the old ones out, and leave super big holes, even though they will be covered by the mirror. Silly boy... what will I do with him?

We also have finally picked out the three colors for the living room, the kitchen, and the entryway. The living room is kind of an earthy green (Behr's "Dried Chervil"), the kitchen is a lighter, airier green (Behr's "Palm Breeze"), and the entryway is a warm orangey color (Behr's "Eastern Amber"). Hopefully they all look as good together on the walls as they do in my head. It was scary picking out three colors all at once, and hoping that they wouldn't all clash.

Other accomplishments we can add to the list is picking out the handles for our cabinets in the kitchen. We actually found some that we liked for under $2.00 each (I wasn't sure it would be possible). They aren't exactly out first choice, and in all truthfulness, we would prefer nothing at all on the cabinet doors, or perhaps just knobs over handles, but that would leave empty holes where the old handles were, and we didn't like that idea much either. At least they are new and shiny, and aren't all sticky from years of kitchen grease buildup.

We've also been looking at tons of different hardwood samples, and hopefully soon we should be picking some out. It's a big step, and it's going to be lots of work, but I know that the end result will be awesome! Thankfully I have a wonderful fiance who is willing to put so much hard work into this house. I know that once we're married, and he is moved in, he will be glad that he got it all done ahead of time, haha. Cos he can't expect too much from me, I'm home improvement challenged...

Well, I should probably make an appearance in the kitchen, so I can say I helped... oh, but the whole reason I decided to post! I wanted to share my wonderful evening with Scott, and I don't think he'll mind if I'm missing for a few more minutes...

First we went to his house, and cooked out some delicious food on the grill (chicken and shrimp), and we also pulled out the deep fryer and fried up some fattening, yummy foods (crinkly fries and mozzarella sticks). We watched "Fun with Dick and Jane" while we ate and relaxed on the couch, and when it was over, Scott suggested we drive up Candlers Mountain Rd, and watch the fireworks.

Candlers Mountain Rd goes up Liberty Mountain, so you can see over most of Lynchburg, and we could see about six different firework shows. It was amazing sitting in the tall grass with all of the other onlookers, and watching all of the different displays. There was rarely a moment where you couldn't see at least one firework... we even got to watch some of the closer backyard shows, and those were pretty cool as well.

It made for a unique Fourth of July, and I'm glad we got to do it. And now I'm glad we're back at what we'll soon be 'our' home, and that it's all coming together. Which reminds me, I need to get out there and help, lest Scott thinks I forgot about him!

2 comments:

  1. So glad you shared this....I love hearing about all your adventures! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That comment was from me! Mom

    ReplyDelete