(P.S.- Not my picture... actually none of them are. I pulled them all from Google searches.)We have a colony of them currently swarming about in the backyard, and I have been stung twice! Once on my finger, which hurt for a very long time, before it finally succumbed to just being itchy, and this second time on my arm, which hasn't been quite as bad.
I am currently researching options to rid our yard of the bees, without actually harming them. I don't want to kill them, but I do want them gone. I have tried many methods so far, such as creating a large pile of freshly cut grass over the hole, but that was thwarted when the bees quickly created a new hole through the grass. And by quickly, I mean within hours!
I have also dumped a myriad of strong smelling seasons and spices, as well as vinegar, on and around the hole, but that onle makes them buzz around angrily, and they have yet to vacate.
And don't start thinking that I got stung during these times of messing with the hole. Amazingly enough, I remained untouched during my assault on the nest. The first time I was stung was actually Ramona's fault. She stuck her curious little cat face right into the hole, and got a bee on her and ran fast as lightning toward the porch. I thought she must have been stung, so I chased after her and when I picked her up I heard angry buzzing. I tried to move away from the buzzing little bugger, but it was too late. It landed right on my hand and stung me... I almost threw poor Ramona it hurt so bad, and there is nothing to make that pain go away. My finger felt like it was on fire, so naturally I ran cold water over it, but that did nothing. I was miserable.

The second time I was stung, I was standing on our back porch, which is a fair distance away from the nest. A bee started buzzing around me, and I must have moved too quick, cos it zoomed right at me and got my elbow. Stupid, stinkin' bees! It hurt really bad too, but not as bad as my finger.
But anyway, back to my methods of ridding our yard of bees. My current attempt involves me throwing multiple layers of twigs and sticks over the hole. This makes it harder for the bees to get in and out of the hole. I've also thrown a few acorns into the mix, in the hopes that they'll roll into the tunnel, and plug it up a bit. I've also thrown vinegar and oil on top of everything... something has to annoy the bees enough that they'll finally leave!

The worst part so far is that one of the seasonings I used was garlic salt, so our whole yard smells like garlic now. I can't wait for the rain to come and wash that away! Sadly it doesn't seem to be bothering the bees too much. My next move is mothballs. I've been reading online that the bees won't like the smell, but it shouldn't kill them. It's pretty much my last attempt before we pull out the big guns and use poisons. I really hate that idea.
So wish me luck tonight as I add the lovely aroma of mothballs to our yard.
**Weird bit of information, whenever I see the pictures of the bees, or start talking about them, it makes my current bee sting feel all tingly, and I get goosebumps... fear of bees anyone?
No comments:
Post a Comment