Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Welcome Back

Our little Masen is growing up so fast! Every day it seems he is doing something new, and sometimes when I look at him, I just can't imagine how much bigger and more aware he seems... it's been an amazing last few months (almost three)!

So a few things that have been happening... at our two month appointment we talked to the doctor about some troubles that I was having when nursing Masen, and the doctor mentioned that Masen had a tongue tie. This means that the little piece of skin that connects the tongue to the floor of the mouth (aka the frenulum) was too close to the tip of the tongue, so Masen didn't have full mobility of his tongue. The doctor went on to explain that this could be a contributing factor to our nursing woes. He said though that since Masen was gaining weight and doing okay, that we shouldn't worry about having it corrected. He suggested we wait to see if it caused Masen to have a speech impediment, and then we should make the decision.

At first Scott and I thought this was an okay plan, but after doing some research and talking more in-depth about it, we decided that with how quick and simple the procedure was, that we would prefer to have it done sooner than later. And so Masen had his tongue clipped in what is called a frenulectomy. He barely even fussed during the less than two minute procedure, and has been nursing so much better ever since! It's also been fun watching him fully stick his tongue out, and I feel better knowing that when he starts to talk, he won't be hindered.

So I went back to work for a few days in December, and then went back for two weeks in January. I was hoping to be able to make being a working mom work, but I came to the realization that it wasn't what I had envisioned for myself and Masen. I didn't want to have someone else doing the majority of raising him, and so I decided to quit my job. I was sad to leave such a great job and such great people, but I truly feel deep down that it was the best decision.

Thankfully while I was back working Scott was able to stay home with Masen and then the two weeks in January my mom was kind enough to come down and watch him. I still missed being with him, but at least he was with someone that we know and trust. But even knowing he was in great hands, I am still very happy to be home with him, and getting to be a part of his growth and development, and being able to love and nurture him. Although I wish I had my mom around to help me out sometimes... she always talked about Masen taking hour long naps (or more), muliple times during the day, in his crib no less! I'm ready for some of that, haha. She said he would fall asleep while she carried him from one room to the next, and in his swing, and in his crib with the mobile on... not so for me! Maybe one day...

Well, I think this was a good first post after a long break. Hopefully I can keep it going!

1 comment:

  1. Yah!!! Glad to see you're posting again. He is such a sweety and I'm sure he will be sleeping in his crib for nice long naps very soon...he just likes being with his mommy right now! Love ya

    ReplyDelete